|Enactment||1991.05.31||Law No.4379||12 articles; no subordinate laws|
|Partly amendment||1996.08.08||Law No.5153||Amendment of the National Government Organization Act:
Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries
-> Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
|Partly amendment||1997.12.13||Law No.5443||Amended related legal terms:
Livestock Product Hygiene Law
-> Livestock Product Processing Law
|Partly amendment||1997.12.13||Law No.5443||Amended the Law on Consolidating Building Codes Based on the Revision of Government Agencies' Titles:
Capital Metropolitan City Direct-Controlled City
-> Capital Metropolitan City Metropolitan City
|Partial amendment||2004.02.09||Law No.7167||12 articles; no subordinate laws|
|Full amendment||2007.01.26||Law No.8282||26 articles,
Enactment of subordinate laws ongoing.
CURRENT STATUS OF PROMOTING THE OVERALL AMENDMENT
- Since the enactment of the Animal Protection Law in 1991, its amendment has been underway based on the proposals of animal protection organizations.
- Although the amendment bill of the Animal Protection Law was announced in September 2002, the bill was withdrawn owing to the differences between animal protection organizations and between the organizations and the government.
- After the joint bill of animal protection organizations was announced in October 2005, a government bill was presented to the National Assembly in compliance with the legislative procedure on September 4, 2006.
- Strengthen the responsibilities of the government and local authorities in relation to animal protection; establish grounds for a registration system for owners of companion animals considering the increase in the breeding of companion animals and rising number of abandoned animals; supplement the regulations to improve the effectiveness of provisions for the prevention of animal mistreatments; address and correct some loop holes of the current system.
- The government bill was presented to the National Assembly on September 4, 2006.
- The bill was passed in the National Assembly (ad hoc session, 263rd) on December 22, 2006.
- The government proclaimed the law(Law No.8282) on January 26, 2007 ; it is expected to take effect on January 27, 2008.