- Although cats and dogs younger than 90 days or originating from rabies-free countries do not require prior vaccination against rabies, it is mandatory that they have microchips implanted in them. Their owners must submit to the animal quarantine officer at the port of entry a health certificate issued by the veterinary authority of the exporting country which states the animal's microchip number.
- A cat or dog whose accompanying documentation has been verified and whose health has been confirmed through a clinical examination at the port of entry may be released on the day of arrival. However, an animal without a microchip or whose microchip number is not the same as that on the certificate may be quarantined for an extended period of time to have a microchip implanted, at the owner's expense.
|Areas designated as rabies-free(in accordance with OIE standards)|
|Japan, Taiwan, Cyprus, Australia, New Zealand, Portugal, Iceland, Guam, Hawaii, Samoa, The Cayman Islands, French Polynesia, Martinique, Réunion, Wallis and Futuna, The Dominican Republic, Lichtenstein, Malaysia, Switzerland, Ireland, Fiji, Singapore, Jamaica, The United Kingdom|
- A microchip implant and a rabies-neutralizing antibody test are mandatory for cats and dogs aged 90 days or older originating from countries that are not rabies-free. The rabies-neutralizing antibody test must be administered by an internationally approved laboratory or by the competent authority of the exporting country within 24 months prior to boarding.
- ※ For a list of internationally approved laboratories for rabies antibody tests, visit: http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/liveanimals/pets/approval_en.htm
- Upon arrival to Korea, a health certificate issued by the vetarinary authority of the exporting country confirming the animal's microchip number and the result of the rabies antibody test must be submitted to the animal quarantine officer.
- A cat or dog whose accompanying documentation has been verified and whose health has been confirmed through a clinical examination at the port of entry may be released on the day of arrival. However, an animal without a microchip or whose microchip number is not the same as that on the certificate, as well as an animal that has not received a rabies-neutralizing antibody test or whose rabies-neutralizing antibody titer is 0.5IU/㎖ or lower, may be quarantined for an extended period of time to have a microchip implanted or to undergo a rabies antibody test, all at the owner's expense.
|Microchip must be ISO-compliant|
|Microchips implanted in cats and dogs must be ISO-compliant (ISO11784 and 11785 standards). For any other chips, importers must bring their own microchip scanners.|
- Travelers bringing five or more cats and/or dogs to Korea must submit an advance notification form to the Animal, Plant and Fisheries Quarantine and Inspection Agency (QIA) and obtain prior approval for the use of an animal quarantine facility.
- Cats imported from Australia and cats and dogs imported from Malaysia require an additional certificate confirming that the animal has been kept in an area free of Hendra and Nipah viruses, or that the animal produced a negative result in a Hendra and Nipah virus test. Without such a certificate, the quarantine period will be extended by 21 days.
- application form to import animals to the Republic of Korea
|For more information on bringing cats and dogs to Korea, visit the Anlmal and Plant Quarantine Agency(QIA) website at: http://www.qia.go.kr|
You can also contact the following agencies:
○ Incheon International Airport (Passenger Terminal) : Tel. 82-32-740-2660~1
○ Incheon International Airport (Cargo Terminal) : Tel. 82-32-740-2680
○ Gimhae Airport : Tel. 82-51-971-1925
○ Gimpo International Airport : Tel. 82-2-2664-2601
○ Muan Airport : Tel. 82-62-975-6033
○ Cheongju Airport : Tel. 82-43-273-0586 ○ Daegu Airport : Tel. 82-53-982-5096
○ Jeju Airport : Tel. 82-64-746-0761
○ Incheon Port : Tel. 82-32-722-8238
○ Busan Port : Tel. 82-51-600-6242
○ Gunsan Port : Tel. 82-63-460-9430
○ Pyeongtaek Port : Tel. 82-31-8053-7707
○ Gwangyang Port : Tel. 82-61-798-4924
○ Port of Sokcho : Tel. 82-33-635-9125
○ Gangneung Port : Tel. 82-33-662-2074